Making life easier for everyone
The other day some of the VDD team were driving back from a lunch meeting (we like to refuel and develop the VDD badge at the same time) and they noticed the Police pulling people over to check that drivers were fully up to date with all their documentation.
The team decided to ‘pull’ themselves over and show the Police the preliminary VDD Badge explaining how it would speed processes like this up. Perhaps even at some point make such an exercise null and void. The friendly Police officer noticed it instantly smiled and exclaimed, “What a wonderful idea!” – music to our ears but quickly he added, “but what we’re also looking for are valid driving licences.”
The Era of Fake Driving Licences
It would seem that a growing issue for British police officers are the amount of fake Driving Licences currently on the British road. High numbers of fake driving licences correlates with increases in hit and runs and cars fleeing accidents. It also means higher insurance rates as the number of uninsured (if they do not have a valid driving licence chances are they do not have insurance) rises with each fake driving permit.
Looking into it we isolated five main ways that fake licences are making their way onto our roads:
1. Fake By Intent - DVLA have made a number of licences (estimated at 4 million) such that when a driving licence is copies it has “fake” several times along the bottom. This is to prevent people making illegal copies. However, if someone takes a copy as part of a query it creates questions. Because of such confusion the Government abandoned it, but they are still in circulation.
2. Fake By Replacement – there are around 30,000 non-UK drivers exchanging their former country driving licence for a UK one. To some extent these are fake as the driver has not taken a driving test and they seem to be open to abuse. More importantly the driving licence being exchanged could we be a fake one.
3. Fake By Manufacture – Although there are no exact numbers the National Crime Agency do highlight that highly professional “factories” exist that can manufacture thousands of fake ID documents including driving licences.
4. Fake By Date – Many drivers simply do not renew their out of date Driving Licences. Whether they simply forget or decide not to many are driving with an out-dated licence. It is estimated that 2 million drivers have been caught due to this with a fine of £1000 issued each time. Since 2010, 734,000 were caught out like this generating £41m in fines.
5. Fake By Examination – Some pay others to take their test for them whilst others bribe their examiners. Both ITV and the Mirror exposed this awful truth. Either way this means that there are fraudulent drivers driving the streets with unlawful Licences right now endangering other drivers.
It’s easy to see now how it is such an important issue that the British Police Force are trying to tackle. So now the question is ‘How do we help?’.
What Can The VDD Badge Do?
What we hope that a VDD Badge will do right now is give Police Officers an added confidence boost. By simply having a VDD Badge on your windscreen they’ll know that 99% of the time the person driving the car has a valid Insurance with up to date MOT and Road Tax. The Police Officer will also know that all it will take is a simple scan they then in put their badge number and within minutes will know everything that they need to know.
And now the next exciting stage for the Development Team is to start exploring a way of integrating Driving Licence information into the current Vehicle Data Display Badge. This will help both the Driver and the British Police Officer giving them peace of mind and confidence on the road.
If you register your interest now you’ll be the first on the list in finding out which exciting developments are ready to use. We want you to be as excited as we are in what’s to come so let us know your thoughts and questions!
We hope you're as excited about this new addition as we are!
Let us know your thoughts on FACEBOOK and TWITTER.